STAFF SELECTION COMMISSION
Candidates must note that the score for SSC CGL Tier-I & Tier-II Exam will be normalised if it is conducted in multiple shifts. The normalisation score will be decided by SSC and it will be considered final for selecting candiidates for the further rounds (Tier-III & Tier-IV) of SSC CGL 2019 Exam.
- Official Website- ssc.nic.in
- Conducting Body- Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
- Online Exam- Tier 1 and Tier 2
- Offline Exam – Tier 3
- Computer Based Skill Test- Tier 4
SSC CGL syllabus increases after every level of exam. The difficulty level also increases. Tier IV is the final round for cracking the exam. No interviews are to be conducted as notified from the year 2016.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern Highlights
SSC CGL Exam Pattern is different for every exam. Marking scheme and syllabus differs from exam to exam.
- Tier 1 exam- 200 questions from General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness/ General knowledge, Quantitative Aptitude and English Comprehension. 75 minutes duration with negative marking for incorrect response.
- Tier 2 exam- This has 4 papers viz., Quantitative Ability, English Language and Comprehension, Statistics (only for post of Statistical Investigator Gr. II & Compiler), General Studies of Finance and Economics (Only for the post of Assistant Audit Officer). 200 marks for each paper is allotted with a duration of 2 hours. Negative marking is applicable.
- Tier 3 exam- Descriptive paper for Essay Writing, Letter/Application Writing, Passage Writing. The paper is conducted for a duration of 1 hour for 100 marks
- Tier 4 exam- Data Entry Skill Test/ Computer Proficiency Test for 15 minutes. This exam is qualifying in nature. No negative marking and no marks allotted.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern in Detail
As per latest notifications by SSC, SSC CGL exam now has four level of exams.
- • Tier-1: Written Examination (Objective Type)
- • Tier-2: Written Examination (Objective Type)
- • Tier-3: Written Examination (Descriptive Type)
- • Tier-4: Computer Test / Skill Test (wherever applicable)
SSC CGL Tier-I Exam Pattern
|Number of Papers||1|
|Total Number of Questions||200|
|Sections||General Intelligence and Reasoning General Awareness/ General knowledge Quantitative Aptitude English Comprehension|
|Total Time||60 min|
SSC CGL Tier-2 Exam Pattern
|Number of Papers||4|
|Total Marks||800 (200 in each paper)|
|Total Time||2 hours for each paper|
SSC CGL Tier-3 Exam Pattern
|Number of Papers||1|
SSC CGL Tier IV Exam Pattern
|Total Marks||Qualifying in Nature|
|Time Duration||15 minutes|
|Tests||Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)/Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)|
|Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)||
|Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)||
SSC CGL Marking Scheme
SSC CGL have both online and offline based tests. While Tier 1, 2 and 4 are online computer based exam, Tier 3 is descriptive written pen and paper examination. Tier 4 is the final qualifying round where document verification is also done. No personal interviews will be conducted in SSC CGL from 2016.
||-0.50 for each wrong answer|
||Qualifying in nature|
SSC CGL Syllabus
Syllabus for every tier in SSC CGL is different. The tables below give an idea about the syllabus in every paper under this exam.
SSC CGL Syllabus- Tier 1
General Intelligence and Reasoning:
- This section is based on Questions from Series (number, figurative), similarities and differences, analogy, space visualization. Spatial orientation, problem solving, analysis, judgement. Decision making, visual memory, discrimination, observation. Direction sense test, Blood relations, arithmetical reasoning and figural.
- Arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding and decoding. Statement conclusion, syllogism in reasoning etc. The topics are Semantic Analogy, Symbolic/Number Analogy. Figural Analogy, Ranking test, Semantic Classification, Symbolic/Number Classification. Figural Classification, Input-Output questions, Problem Solving, Word Building, Seating arrangement, Numerical Operations, symbolic Operations. Questions on Dies, Clock, Calender.
- Trends, Space Orientation, Space Visualization, Venn Diagrams. Drawing inferences, folding & un-folding of Punched hole/pattern. Figural Pattern – folding and completion, Indexing, Address matching. Date & city matching, Classification of centre codes/roll numbers. Small & Capital letters/numbers coding, decoding and classification. Embedded Figures, Critical thinking. Emotional Intelligence, Socia
- Questions on Fill in the Blanks, Idioms & Phrases, Jumbled sentences (ordering), One word substitution. Synonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/Detecting Mis-spelt words, Common errors, sentence improvement, Passage, Cloze test are asked.
- This section is based on questions on Percentages. Ratio & Proportion. Square and cube roots. Surds and indices. Lcm and hcf, Averages, Age problems. Simple interest and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership. Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time & Work, Boat and Streams, Pipes and Cisterns. Numbers, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Heights and Distances.
Quantitative Aptitude (Q.A.):
- Divisions and Remainders, decimals ,fractions and relationships between numbers. Graphs of Linear Equations, Triangles (centres, congruence, similarity), In circles and circum-circle. Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons. Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone. Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelopiped.
- Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base, Trigonometric ratio. Degree and Radian Measures, Circle and its chords. tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle. common tangents to two or more circles, Standard Identities. Complementary angles, Heights and Distances. Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart.
General Awareness (G.A.):
- General Awareness will have questions on current events, India and its neighbouring countries.
- Also questions from History. Geography, Economic Scene,Culture, General Policy & Scienti fic Research are asked. Scientific research includes physics, chemistry and Biology. Current affairs of Last 6 months are asked.
SSC CGL Syllabus: Tier 2
||Same as in Tier 1|
SSC CGL Syllabus- Tier 3
||Precis Writing/Essay/Formal Letter/Informal Letter/Application/Passage Writing|
SSC CGL Syllabus- Tier 4
SSC CHSL Syllabus & Exam Pattern
To score well in SSC CHSL exam, all candidates must be aware about the SSC CHSL syllabus and exam pattern. It is very important to understand the structure of the exam and the syllabus that needs to be prepared. We start with understanding the pattern of SSC CHSL
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern
There are three different levels in SSC CHSL exam that have to be cleared by candidates to get selected for various posts in the Government Offices. SSC CHSL Tier I is Objective Multiple Choice Question, Tier II exam is Descriptive Paper in English/Hindi, while Tier III is the Computer Proficiency Test.
SSC CHSL Tier-1 Exam Pattern
|Section||Subject||No of Questions||Max Marks||Exam Duration|
SSC CHSL Tier-II Exam Pattern
SSC CHSL Tier-II is a descriptive test that is designed to test the written skills of the candidates in English/Hindi. The paper would demand writing of an Essay of 200-250 words and Letter/Application writing of approximately 150-200 words. The minimum qualifying marks in Tier-II would be 33 per cent.
- The exam is of 60 minutes’ duration and carries 100 marks.
- The questions are based on 10th level.
- The exam is qualifying in nature.
- The exam duration is 80 minutes for candidates who are visually handicapped or suffer from cerebral palsy.
SSC CHSL Tier-III Exam Pattern
The Tier 3 of SSC CGL Exam comprises of a couple of skill tests which are required for certain government posts.
SSC CHSL Syllabus
SSC CHSL is conducted in three different phases, the syllabus of all the three sections is likely to be different. All candidates must stay updated about the latest changes in SSC CHSL syllabus and exam pattern to prepare thoroughly for SSC CHSL . SSC CHSL Tier-1 Syllabus
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||Quantitative Ability||English Language||General Awareness|
SSC CHSL Tier II Syllabus As mentioned above, this paper requires candidates to write an essay and Letter/Application that tests the writing skills of the candidates. The essay topics will be related to National Interest, Finance & Economy, Ecological Issues, Social Issues, Politics, Schemes & Governance, Technology, Sports, Geopolitics, Environmental Concerns etc. While, the type of letter/ application asked will be Complaint, Suggestion, Application, Official Appreciation, Follow up or Feedback etc. SSC CHSL Tier III Syllabus Tier-III of SSC CHSL will be a Skill/ Typing Test which would be of a qualifying nature. The final merit of the selected candidates will be based on the basis of total score obtained in Tier-I and Tier-II.
Skill test for Data Entry Operator:
In this test, a candidate must have data entry speed of 8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depressions per hour. Duration of the Test will be 15 minutes and English document having about 2000-2200 strokes/key-depressions would be given to type.
SSC CPO exam has three different phases that candidates need to clear in order to get selected for various posts in Delhi Police, CAPFs, CISFs etc. SSC CPO Paper 1 is Objective Multiple Choice Question paper. Paper II exam is English Comprehension Test, while PET/PST Test is conducted to check the endurance (medical and physical strength) of candidate.
SSC CPO Paper-1 Exam Pattern
|Subject||No. of Questions||Maximum Marks||Duration|
|General Intelligence & Reasoning||50||50|
SSC CPO PET/PST Test
|Belonging to Hilly regions & areas of J&K, North East & Sikkim||165||80||85|
|Belonging to Hilly regions & areas of J&K, North East & Sikkim||155|
SSC CPO PET Test
- 100 metre race in 16 seconds
- 1.6 Km Race in 6.5 minutes
- Long Jump: 3.65 metres in 5 chances
- High Jump: 1.2 metres in 3 chances
- Short put 16 LBS: 4.5 metres in 3 chances
- • 100 metre race in 18 second
- • 800 metre race in 4 minutess
- • Long Jump: 2.7 metres or 9 feet in 3 chances
- • High Jump: 0.9 metres or 3 feet in 3 chances
SSC CPO Medical Test
Criteria for the Medical Test is given below:
- Minimum Near Vision: N6 (better eye) and N9 (worse eye)
- Minimum Distant Vision: 6/6 (better eye) and 6/9 (worse eye)
- Must not have knock knee, flat foot, varicose vein or squint in eyes
- Eye standards should be without visual correction of any kind even by glasses.
SSC CPO Paper – 2 Exam Pattern SSC CPO Paper-2 will be conducted after PET/PST Test for SSC CPO 2019 is conducted.
- The total time duration of the exam is of 120 minutes i.e. 2 hours.
- The total number of questions asked will be around 200 and the maximum marks for Paper-2 will be 200
- The test will be of English Language and Comprehension conducted online.
SSC CPO Syllabus
The Syllabus of SSC CPO is for two written exams conducted online- Paper-1 & Paper-2. Let’s have a look at SSC CPO Syllabus. SSC CPO Paper-1 Syllabus
|General Reasoning||General Knowledge||Quantitative Aptitude||English Comprehension|
|Verbal Reasoning||Current Affairs||Percentage||Reading Comprehension|
|Syllogism||Awards and Honors||Ratio and Percentage||Grammar|
|Circular Seating Arrangement||Books and Authors||Data Interpretation||Vocabulary|
|Linear Seating Arrangement||Sports||Mensuration and Geometry||Verbal Ability|
|Double Lineup||Entertainment||Quadratic Equation||Synonyms-Antonyms|
|Scheduling||Obituaries||Interest||Active and Passive Voice|
|Input Output||Important Dates||Problems of Ages||Para Jumbles|
|Blood Relations||Scientific Research||Profit and Loss||Fill in the Blanks|
|Directions and Distances||Number Series||Error Correction|
|Ordering and Ranking||Speed, Distance and Time|
|Data Sufficiency||Time and Work|
|Coding and Decoding||Number System|
|Code Inequalities||Data Sufficiency|
SSC CPO Paper 2 Syllabus
|English Language and Comprehension||