Candidates must note that the score for SSC CGL Tier-I & Tier-II Exam will be normalised if it is conducted in multiple shifts. The normalisation score will be decided by SSC and it will be considered final for selecting candiidates for the further rounds (Tier-III & Tier-IV) of SSC CGL 2019 Exam.
- Official Website- ssc.nic.in
- Conducting Body- Staff Selection Commission (SSC)
- Online Exam- Tier 1 and Tier 2
- Offline Exam - Tier 3
- Computer Based Skill Test- Tier 4
SSC CGL syllabus increases after every level of exam. The difficulty level also increases. Tier IV is the final round for cracking the exam. No interviews are to be conducted as notified from the year 2016.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern Highlights
SSC CGL Exam Pattern is different for every exam. Marking scheme and syllabus differs from exam to exam.
Tier 1 exam- 200 questions from General Intelligence & Reasoning, General Awareness/ General knowledge, Quantitative Aptitude and English Comprehension. 75 minutes duration with negative marking for incorrect response.
Tier 2 exam- This has 4 papers viz., Quantitative Ability, English Language and Comprehension, Statistics (only for post of Statistical Investigator Gr. II & Compiler), General Studies of Finance and Economics (Only for the post of Assistant Audit Officer). 200 marks for each paper is allotted with a duration of 2 hours. Negative marking is applicable.
Tier 3 exam- Descriptive paper for Essay Writing, Letter/Application Writing, Passage Writing. The paper is conducted for a duration of 1 hour for 100 marks
Tier 4 exam- Data Entry Skill Test/ Computer Proficiency Test for 15 minutes. This exam is qualifying in nature. No negative marking and no marks allotted.
SSC CGL Exam Pattern in Detail
As per latest notifications by SSC, SSC CGL exam now has four level of exams.
- • Tier-1: Written Examination (Objective Type)
- • Tier-2: Written Examination (Objective Type)
- • Tier-3: Written Examination (Descriptive Type)
- • Tier-4: Computer Test / Skill Test (wherever applicable)
SSC CGL Tier-I Exam Pattern
|Number of Papers||1|
|Total Number of Questions||100|
|Sections||General Intelligence and Reasoning, General Awareness/ General knowledge Quantitative Aptitude and English Comprehension|
|Total Time||60 min|
SSC CGL Tier-2 Exam Pattern
|Number of Papers||4|
|Total Marks||400 (200 in each paper) / (Paper-3:Statistics and Paper-4:General studies(Finance and economics) only for post of statistical investigator and Assistant Audit officer each of marks 200.|
|Total Time||2 hours for each paper|
SSC CGL Tier-3 Exam Pattern
|Number of Papers||1|
SSC CGL Tier IV Exam Pattern
|Total Marks||Qualifying in Nature|
|Time Duration||15 minutes|
|Tests||Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)/Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)|
|Data Entry Skill Test (DEST)||
|Computer Proficiency Test (CPT)||
SSC CGL Marking Scheme
SSC CGL have both online and offline based tests. While Tier 1, 2 and 4 are online computer based exam, Tier 3 is descriptive written pen and paper examination. Tier 4 is the final qualifying round where document verification is also done. No personal interviews will be conducted in SSC CGL from 2016.
||-0.25 for each wrong answer|
||Qualifying in nature|
SSC CGL Syllabus
Syllabus for every tier in SSC CGL is different. The tables below give an idea about the syllabus in every paper under this exam.
SSC CGL Syllabus- Tier 1
General Intelligence and Reasoning:
- This section is based on Questions from Series (number, figurative), similarities and differences, analogy, space visualization. Spatial orientation, problem solving, analysis, judgement. Decision making, visual memory, discrimination, observation. Direction sense test, Blood relations, arithmetical reasoning and figural.
- Arithmetic number series, non-verbal series, coding and decoding. Statement conclusion, syllogism in reasoning etc. The topics are Semantic Analogy, Symbolic/Number Analogy. Figural Analogy, Ranking test, Semantic Classification, Symbolic/Number Classification. Figural Classification, Input-Output questions, Problem Solving, Word Building, Seating arrangement, Numerical Operations, symbolic Operations. Questions on Dies, Clock, Calender.
- Trends, Space Orientation, Space Visualization, Venn Diagrams. Drawing inferences, folding & un-folding of Punched hole/pattern. Figural Pattern – folding and completion, Indexing, Address matching. Date & city matching, Classification of centre codes/roll numbers. Small & Capital letters/numbers coding, decoding and classification. Embedded Figures, Critical thinking. Emotional Intelligence, Socia
- Questions on Fill in the Blanks, Idioms & Phrases, Jumbled sentences (ordering), One word substitution. Synonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/Detecting Mis-spelt words, Common errors, sentence improvement, Passage, Cloze test are asked.
- This section is based on questions on Percentages. Ratio & Proportion. Square and cube roots. Surds and indices. Lcm and hcf, Averages, Age problems. Simple interest and Compound Interest, Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership. Mixture and Alligation, Time and distance, Time & Work, Boat and Streams, Pipes and Cisterns. Numbers, Algebra, Geometry, Trigonometry, Heights and Distances.
Quantitative Aptitude (Q.A.):
- Divisions and Remainders, decimals ,fractions and relationships between numbers. Graphs of Linear Equations, Triangles (centres, congruence, similarity), In circles and circum-circle. Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons. Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone. Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelopiped.
- Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square base, Trigonometric ratio. Degree and Radian Measures, Circle and its chords. tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle. common tangents to two or more circles, Standard Identities. Complementary angles, Heights and Distances. Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar diagram & Pie chart.
General Awareness (G.A.):
- General Awareness will have questions on current events, India and its neighbouring countries.
- Also questions from History. Geography, Economic Scene,Culture, General Policy & Scienti fic Research are asked. Scientific research includes physics, chemistry and Biology. Current affairs of Last 6 months are asked.
SSC CGL Syllabus: Tier 2
||Same as in Tier 1|
SSC CGL Syllabus- Tier 3
||Precis Writing/Essay/Formal Letter/Informal Letter/Application/Passage Writing|
SSC CGL Syllabus- Tier 4